About My Blog


ABOUT MY BLOG

My Dad David died 10.09.13 aged 69. He had a huge love of the countryside. He loved walking and was a keen angler. I was desperate to find and own an object that summed Dad up, after an insightful conversation with a friend, I remembered his walking boots. This set me thinking... How about stepping into them and going for a walk somewhere with a body of water (sea, river, lake, canal, pond, tarn...) and stunning, just as Dad would have wanted.... Here I go in 'My Dad's Boots'

Friday 26 February 2016

The Lake District - MDB..... 1 Week, 6 Summits..... High Rigg, Low Rigg and Tewet Tarn

This half term I packed MDB and headed for a week in the Lake District.... The challenge was to see how many Wainwright summits I could bag in a leisurely holiday style. To my joy I was easily able to bag half a dozen lovely tops, all with fabulous views and still have time to potter around Keswick. 


This month's MDB blog is going to fall in four parts and be presented as a series of short photo blogs. There are many blogs and websites that will amply describe the routes taken to explore these summits, and of course there are the wonderful AW pictorial guides. I was graced with a week of the most beautiful weather for this time of year and only experienced one morning of rain.... All in all a wonderful Lakeland break. 

Map: Bing and Ordnance Survey

My first and most local walk took in High Rigg, Low Rigg and Tewet Tarn. I grabbed my flask, OL5 and my AW Central Fells guide book 3. Booting up in the porch of the cosy little cottage I was lucky enough to call base for the week, I took a right and set off up the lane.....

Looking back over the meadows at the early part of the ascent

Making my way beside the wall, I look back towards a distant snow topped Helvellyn

A tiny beautiful tarn found on the first plateau. 

Blencathera makes its first appearance

High Rigg Summit, MDB, a far off Great Calva and Blencathera..... Out of shot a warming brew.

The third giant, Skiddaw. In the foreground, the next top of the day Low Rigg, and the lovely little stretch of water I was soon to visit, Tewet Tarn.

The sweet little church of St Johns In the Vale

Low Rigg

Tewet Tarn and Blencathera behind

Beside Tewet Tarn



After the tarn the path took me out on to a narrow road, turning right, walking for a short stretch I reached this little gate and this pretty sign guiding me back towards the church.


The path continues across pastures, along tracks, back on to roads.....

Blencathera bathed in beautiful magic Lake District light.

Looking back after the ascent up from Bridge House and St John's Beck.

Heading back up the road towards St John's Church, following the track round High Rigg

A positively glowing High Rigg


A brilliant first day and an easy first Wainwright of the week left me hungry for more.... Next post to be published soon.

Till next time.... Tight laces MDBx

Always, with huge gratitude Phil.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful place, perfect for contemplation and reflection!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Google registered user please leave a comment or alternatively email me at: mydadsboots@hotmail.com.... Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...